Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Met Opening Night

Last night was Opening Night for The Metropolitan Opera. The production was Puccini's Tosca. This is also the opening opera for the Chicago Lyric Opera. The Met does something that I love; broadcasting Opening Night for free to open-air audiences to giant screens in Times Square and on Lincoln Center Plaza. I think this is an amazing way for everyone to experience the opera and in such a beautiful setting as Lincoln Center and an exciting setting of Times Square.

I love that their is still a glamorous opening night for the opera, especially in this economy. Originally, I was not an opera lover - much to my great aunt's chagrin. Over the past two years, I have been able to learn a lot more about opera and learn to not only appreciate opera, but really grow to embrace it. It was a little heart breaking to learn that Tosca was booed last night. How sad for the performers. From the articles I read, I am not sure it was deserved. If you are interested in see a Met performance, but cannot make it to New York, consider attending The Met: Live in HD at a local movie theatre. The opera is simulcast live from the stage to the screen. You also get to see the scenery changes and interviews with the cast. Last year, I was able to see all but one of the opera this way.

No comments: