Monday, January 24, 2011

Girls on the Run

Yesterday, I spent the morning in training to be an Assistant Coach for Girls on the Run. I am part of the Cincinnati group of over 400 coaches! 400!!! It was an amazing 6 hours.

Girls on the Run is a life-changing, experiential learning program for girls age eight to thirteen years old. The 12-week programs combine training for a 3.1 mile running event with self-esteem enhancing, uplifting workouts. The goals of the programs are to encourage positive emotional, social, mental, spiritual and physical development. Each week, participants learn important life skills while completing a physical activity. The program culminates in a non-competitive 5K race event which gives the girls a chance to shine and an overwhelming sense of accomplishment.

We learned the history, goals, structure, administrative parts of the program. We also did a few practice sessions. My group is meeting Monday and Wednesday at a YMCA close to my work. I will be coaching every Monday and on Wednesday as my schedule allows. I think the work GOTR is doing is invaluable and so needed by girls today. Life is getting harder and more complicated at an earlier age for girls.

Here is a great video, featuring Founder Molly Barker.

No comments: