Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Passage to India

Every summer I like to read A Passage to India. Partly because the book is amazing and partly because of the memories I associate with this book. During the summer between my junior and senior year of high school this was one of our books for summer reading. I remember taking my book each day to the backyard and laying on my favorite madras throw and reading. My mother would bring me iced tea and a sandwich at lunch. I remember feeling so grown up because I had homework during the summer and it was a very important book to read. This book is magical when it describes India, but serious in the issues it deals with throughout the book.
Plot: A Passage to India revolves around four characters: Dr. Aziz, his British friend Cyril Fielding, Mrs. Moore and Adela Quested. During a trip to the Marabar Caves, Adela accuses Aziz of attempting to rape her. Aziz's trial, and its run-up and aftermath, bring out all the racial tensions and prejudices between indigenous Indians and the British colonists who rule India.

No comments: