Sunday, August 30, 2009

Oregon Trail - Day Two

Oregon Trail - Day Two
August 29, 2009
States: SD

KMD and I woke up early on Saturday, packed the car and headed off for the Falls of Sioux Falls. As we drove into Park Falls you could tell, they were going to be lovely. The falls were beautiful. We walked around for a few minutes and then headed back downtown for breakfast.

At first we were a little nervous because not that much seemed to be open, but KMD spotted this little cafe that looked just like 'us'. It was Cafe 334. We checked out the menu and headed inside. We were able to sit by the window and enjoy the scenery. Cafe 334 has pained little blue dish and little purple octopi on the storefront window.

They also had a sidewalk chalk advertisement out front. Sidewalk chalk as a special place in my big girl heart. During college, we also used sidewalk chalk to advertise our events. After a yummy breakfast of eggs, tomatoes, bacon and homemade english muffin's, we headed off in search of postcards. (I love to send postcards. Always have and always will.) Postcards in hand we began driving.

Last night, when I realized that we were not far from the Corn Palace, I knew we had to stop. My family visited the corn palace when I was 8 years old, during a cross country drive. I was curious to see if it was still as fun and neat as I remembered. Turns out, it was!

They were also having the Corn Palace Festival. Now, I love and I mean love a festival. The rides, the games, the food, the people, the colors. Growing up in the Midwest, all the Catholic churches have festivals during the summer and they are always a blast. So yes, I love a festival. We toured the outside of the Corn Palace. Fun Fact: It is decorated with a different theme each year. All the corn has to be replaced because the birds eat it. So it never looks the same way twice. After the tour, we rode the Ferris Wheel in the number 8 car. 8 is KMD's favorite number. We worked up an appetite riding the Ferris Wheel and indulged in some corn on the cob, a corn dog and lemonade. It was perfect for a sunny day.

Back in the car, our next sightseeing stop was Badlands National Park. I wasn't quite sure what to expect and I was blown away. For miles and miles (read: 300+) it was full on prairie. Then we enter the Badlands and it is huge stock and rock structures and deep deep valleys. The colors were beautiful. We stopped several times along the scenic route to take pictures and enjoy the surroundings. I am glad and thankful that I have been able to see another National Park and something so beautiful.

We were supposed to see Mt. Rushmore that day, but it was getting later and we are staying at a little bed & breakfast in the Black Hills. We knew it was off the beaten path and did not relish looking for it in the dark. That turned out to be a good choice. It was very very far off the beaten path and we needed the daylight and help from the Garmin to find it. We are staying at the Coyote Blues Village B&B. It is owned and operated by a very nice Swiss couple. We were very hungry upon arrival and immediately headed out in search of the recommended Horse Creek Inn. We were warned it looked like a cowboy bar (true), but the food was wonderful (also true). The decor was very old school and grandma-ish, but the food was so good. The craziest part was the price. For ice tea, homemade soup, tossed salad, filet cooked to order, fresh dinner roll, baked potato and tax & tip the bill came to $40.00. I am so not kidding. I mean that is a night out for one in Chicago. Amazing!

We returned to our lovely b&b to write postcards, upload pictures, check email, update blogs and get ready for bed. As KMD and I are out in one of the common areas working away, another bedroom door opens and a head pops out. It is an older woman, Beverly. She heard our voices and decided to check us out. She must have thought we looked okay, because she pulled up a chair and began chatting away. We both had the feeling, Beverly never met someone she didn't like talking too. She liked that there were some young people here now. She liked looking at all of our photo's from the past day and asking lots of questions about the purpose of our trip. She and her friend Mary, are here to see Mt. Rushmore. Beverly is very patriotic as evidenced by her flag and Mt. Rushmore shirt, pin and earrings. Beverly enjoyed drawing parallels between KMD & I and her & Mary. We had a really nice time with both of them and had the feeling if we were staying any longer, they would have planned an adventure for all of us to enjoy.

I have to take a moment and be thankful and mindful of our trip. While I am sad to be geographically losing one of my favorite people, I am grateful we have this trip and time together. We are two girls on the road traveling cross country. It sounds amazing when I say it out loud and write it down. Cross Country. It is something so few people have the time or opportunity to do. We are seeing large parts of this country, national treasures, different sights and spending time together. I couldn't ask for more.

No comments: