Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Weekend Recap

This past weekend was absolutely lovely. We decided to deep six the Botanic Gardens because it was so very hot here in Chicago. The humidity was very high as well. Saturday started off with errands - waxing appointment, mailing a swap gift, picking up macaroons for a special treat tonight and popping into Pottery Barn for a few more glasses. After running errands, I came home and began to get ready for an evening in the 'burbs. The girls and I decided it would be neat to explore some of the cute suburbs surrounding the city. We picked Highland Park for our Saturday adventure. I work in the NorthShore, so I have spent a lot of time in the HP, but it was new for the girls. We took a lovely drive up Sheridan Rd, enjoying the lake and amazing houses. We spent an hour shopping in the small boutiques. We went to Cafe Central for dinner. Since we were seeing Julie & Julia, we went for a French theme. The meal began with a wonderful bottle of Pinot Grigio. I enjoyed the french onion soup, followed by a petite filet with fresh vegtables and truffle mashed potatoes. Delish.

After dinner, we walked next door to the Highland Park Theatre. The HPT is very very old school. Red small tickets for the movie. It sort of smells like your grandmother's basement. The inside is all wood with older speakers and and old fashioned popcorn maker. It was a fun treat and I love supporting small business.


For a special treat and keeping with the french theme, I had picked up macaroons from Sarah's Pastries on Oak Street. During the movie the girls and I had a treat of macaroons and mini Sofia's. I adored Julie & Julia. I especially loved the part with Julia in France. So lovely. I would have loved living in Paris during that time.

Sunday began with brunch at Southport Grocery and Cafe. This is hands down one of my favorite brunch places. I usually am a savory breakfast person, but at SG&C, I enjoy the Cupcake Pancakes. So yummy. They also make THE best cupcakes in Chicago. I love love love the cupcakes here. I know, it's alot of cupcake. I can't help it.




After brunch, it was the beach all day. It was really the only way to be outside, because it was so hot. I made homemade chicken salad with dill, dried cranberries and walnuts as a late lunch/early dinner to take with us. Served on crossiant with a side salad of pinenut, pea and parm orzo. Dessert was juicy watermelon.



We spent the day at the beach with magazines, books, and music. It was a lovely day and when we heated up, we dipped into the lake. This is the view from my beach blanket and a picture of my favorite tree.




I heart the weekends. *Sigh*

No comments: